Review: Beignet at Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie in Epcot’s France Pavilion

Bonjour! We are popping into Les Halles Boulangerie and Patisserie in Epcot’s France Pavilion today to take a closer look at a new-to-us pastry!

You may remember last year around Mardi Gras time when we shared with you the Beignets commemorating that time of year. They were really interesting — unlike what we normally think of as beignets. (You know, those fluffy fried pillows of deliciousness. Rectangular or Mickey-shaped — we’re good either way.)

But on a recent visit to Les Halles we were intrigued to read that the Beignets seemed to be different, since they were described as Chocolate Hazelnut-filled.

Wait. What?!

Yeah…that’s all it took to get us there.

Le Beignet at Les Halles

The previous beignets at Les Halles were Bugnes Lyonnaise, diamond-shaped with a hole in the middle, and were rolled in granulated sugar. So when I was handed this treat, it was clear that we were dealing with something completely different.

Enjoying a Beignet in a Quiet Spot

Enjoying a Beignet in a Quiet Spot

We took the snack to my favorite secret hide-y place in the France Pavilion. (Nope, not tellin’ ya where…OK, behind the perfume shops. But don’t tell.) It’s a wonderfully quiet and shady spot — a perfect place to dig into Les Halles loot!

As you can see, it looks like a traditional filled doughnut. Actually, it reminded me a lot of the Berliner featured at the Germany Booth during last year’s Epcot Food and Wine Festival.

Les Halles Beignet -- Up Close

Les Halles Beignet — Up Close

Time to cut into it! I went for it, expecting to see a snug little pocket of chocolate Hazelnut filling. But this is what greeted me on the cross section.

Beignet -- Cross Section

Beignet — Cross Section

Well, I knew there was filling in there. It was too heavy for there not to be! And so I cut it again and the chocolate filling began to reveal itself.

Beignet -- Get There...

Beignet — Getting There…

But I knew you guys would really want to see inside! So I went for one final cut. Jackpot! Here, you can see that the beignet is completely filled with what tastes a whole lot like Nutella.

Beignet -- Filling-Viewing Success!

Beignet — Filling-Viewing Success!

So how did it taste? Pretty awesome. The pastry was tender and fresh. And of course, you can never go wrong with the flavor combo of chocolate and hazelnut. This was a win for me! And since we split it four ways (and, er, may have also purchased a macaron collection), it was perfect for sharing. Everyone got just a bite or two of the pastry and filling, and the ratio was perfect.

If you’re intrigued, are looking for a step up from your garden variety breakfast doughnut, or you just really love Nutella, then this one is definitely for you!

Will you be trying the Beignet at Les Halles? Leave a comment and let me know what you think!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com!Also, come on over and:

View the full article